Saturday, June 09, 2007

Firefox Widgets 0.2 is finally here

After a long wait, the new release of Firefox Widgets is ready. Many issues with the UI are fixed now, and is a pretty stable release. Only one widget is available (stickies), but you can create more of course. Hack into your profile or the extension .xpi file and check the stickies code. Any widget is very much a simple index.html with a file called front.png. I should add some details about writing Widgets soon.

Thanks to everyone who has offered to help, sorry I haven't answered some of you, I really needed to get a stable release before going on.

See screenshots in the old posts. That hasn't changed.

Install Firefox Widgets 0.2.2.a
GNU GPL 2

Enjoy!

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally, I have been waiting for this

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the old .fire widgets Compatible?

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And finally! It's here! :D :D :))
Went to make something cool for my favourite Firefox Dashboard extension (forgot there's only one Dashboard extension....)

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW: How do I close the lightbox? I only managed to close it by switching tabs. Is there an other way which I didn't noticed?

3:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

close it by double clicking on it

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, thanks! :)

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your welcome.

To answer my first question.

No, the old .fire widgets are not Compatible.

12:37 PM  
Blogger the-edmeister said...

If a click on the Statusbar icon opens the Widget overlay, why not be able to close it from the icon; either click or dbl-click? Seems more intuitive.

Ed

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I think it's more logical... If you need it, dig into your firefox profile and modifity the overlay.xul (it's not even jar compressed, so it's easy to hack :) )

9:16 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

looking forward to test it out on minimo/n800 ... see my blog ;)

great job

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to play a bit with it . where can I find a wroking helloworld widget ?

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a development tutorial which you can view by clicking the link.


@anonymous:
You can find a working widget at
[profile folder]/firefox/[profile name]/extensions/{884ad...}/chrome/
firefoxit/content/fire/stickies

Your Firefox profile folder can by found according to the MozillaZine chart.

You could also read my tutorial ;)

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the creator of Firefoxit:
Are you planning to submit this extension to addons.mozilla.org? I believe that the extension would get a lot more users if you did.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you remove Widgets from Firefox Widgets 0.2

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@anonymous:
First, close Firefox.

Then find the location of your profile folder on this chart: MozillaZine Profile Folder page

Then go to [profile folder]/firefox/[profile name]/extensions/{884ad...}/chrome/
firefoxit/content/fire/ then delete the widget folder that you want to delete. Then go to [profile folder] and delete the files firefoxit.txt and firefoxitreg.txt

Now reopen Firefox, clear your cache, then open Firefoxit. If all goes well, the widget should be gone now.

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but it has always worked for me.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there...

Summarizing this are the suggestions so far:
-Make it more intuitive to close
-Release a guide to develop widgets
-Uninstall
-Submit to addons mozilla

I'll work on that.

Basically A widget is a zip file withn index.html and a front.png background. The zip is renamed to .fwdgt

Some questions that were answered:
-Old fires compatible? right no, but you can rename it from .fire to .fwdgt
-Hello world: yeah, stickies is the hello world

The development tutorial seems broken, I haven't seen it. but thanks to the one who wrote it.

I am seeking for a few extra developers, post why would you like to participate and contact information (Kris7topher?, david?)

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I made a typo when I changed the URL and added the redirect page. Here's the new URL. The old link should work now too.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Firefoxit developer:
I can probably help develop, but I don't have a ton of time to work on it. My email is near the bottom of the 'About' page on my website if you would like to contact me.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do you close widgets?

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

close it by double clicking on it

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@anonymous (first one):
To close Firefoxit, double click on any blank area of the screen.

To close a single widget, click the (+) icon in the bottom right of the screen and (x) icons should appear in the corner of each widget.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

The dude who wrote the extension
I'd love to help develop widgets!
I have basic knowledge of Javascript, VBScript, HTML, CSS, and PHP
I have my own website that i've just purchased a domain for and will be creating gadgets for my web page anyway. This project seems like a good idea.

David
Great tutorial
I noticed you are using ubuntu

11:22 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

....and you can contact me @ admin@yoshposhjosh.com

2:56 AM  
Blogger H said...

I installed firefoxit at first and it was ok. After several time restarting FF, the Firefox Error Console returns this error:
this.docShell has no properties

and I noticed there's a small black square on top of the File|Edit|View menu, right on top of the word 'File'.

Any idea how to overcome this? I've tried reinstalled the extension but to no avail.

Thanks.

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you still developing this?

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@anonymous:
The last revision was on August 18. We are about halfway to the next release, but development has been slow lately (my excuse is school).

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home